Do not let the fact that your insurer has denied your claim discourage you. A standard contract for insurance is the same as any other contract. If you want your complaint to be taken seriously, follow these steps.

1. Send a letter to your insurance provider.

A better understanding of your rights can assist you in getting issues resolved at an earlier stage, before they become more serious. Therefore, you need to ensure that you are following the correct procedure.

In the event that the response you receive from your insurance provider is unsatisfactory, you should file a formal complaint.

Complaints must be addressed by suppliers of financial services within eight weeks of receipt; thus, you should make sure that your viewpoint is clear by using the heading “Complaint” in an email or letter.

The letter should be brief, but it should still contain important information such dates and the names of the people who were spoken to. You could also elaborate on the solution that you want to see implemented to the problem.

Before taking your complaint to a higher level, you should first offer your provider with an opportunity to resolve the issue, and you should always keep a record of who you speak to and what is said.

2 Get in touch with the Office of the Financial Ombudsman.

You have the right to submit your issue to the Financial Ombudsman Service if your insurance provider does not address your complaint within eight weeks, or if they reject it (FOS).

The FOS has the authority to hand out fines of up to 150,000 pounds against an insurance provider.

Claim forms are available for download from the FOS website, or you can call their customer service line at 0300 123 9123.

In your letter to the FOS, you should thoroughly document and explain your complaint, as well as state how you would like the issue to be remedied.

3 Financial compensation

If your complaint is upheld, you will be given a quantity of money that is intended to put you back in the same financial situation as before the dispute.

Your insurance company may be required to pay fees and/or compensation for distress or inconvenience if the FOS orders them to do so. This is in addition to the FOS’s ability to order the financial institution to pay compensation for a financial loss or to make something right.

4 File your case at the local district court.

In the event that you are unhappy with the decision made by the FOS, you have the option of bringing the matter to the small claims court.

However, it is important to consider whether or not a judge is likely to reach a conclusion that is dissimilar to that of the ombudsman.

You are eligible to use the process of the small claims court in England and Wales if your claim is for less than £10,000, and in Scotland and Northern Ireland, your claim must be for less than $3,000.

You can submit a claim over the internet or pick up some free pamphlets at the County Court in your area.