We discuss the various means by which in-home care can be funded, ranging from assistance from the local authorities to what’s known as self-funding, in which you pay for the care yourself.

How are the costs of in-home care covered?

Home care is beneficial for elderly persons who are having difficulty completing everyday activities on their own, such as bathing, dressing, or going out and about in their community.

Someone who requires more support may be able to keep a certain level of independence and remain in their own home for as long as possible with the assistance of this type of care, which is also known as domiciliary care.

In the United Kingdom, the following methods are used to pay for in-home care:

Funding from the local authority: Depending on the individual’s financial situation, the local council may pay for some or all of the care.
Self-funding means that the individual receiving care (or their family) is responsible for paying all or the majority of the costs associated with that individual’s care.
Funding from the National Health Service (NHS): In certain situations, the NHS will pay for all or part of the costs.

When will the municipal government start paying for in-home care?

An evaluation of your requirements will come first in the process that the local government will use to determine whether or not you are qualified to receive assistance.

If it is determined that you have “qualifying needs,” the local government will conduct a financial assessment in order to determine how much of a portion of the cost of your treatment you should be responsible for paying. Above certain levels of savings and assets, you will be responsible for paying for your own medical care out of your own pocket.

The following is a list of the upper limits for 2021-22:

England: £23,250
Wales: £24,000
Personal care at home is provided at no cost to those in Scotland and Northern Ireland who have been determined to require such assistance by their respective local authorities. Personal hygiene is not subject to any kind of means test. There may be fees associated with providing many other types of help.

If you are determined to be eligible for funding from the local authority for care at home, you may be given a personal budget. This is a budget that has been allotted by the council in order to satisfy your care needs; it gives you the ability to choose your own care arrangements and gives you control over those decisions.

Care provided at home on one’s own dime

If you live in England or Wales and any of the following situations apply to you, you are responsible for paying for your own care at home:

You have more money and assets than the minimum required to pass the means test and qualify for financial assistance with your care (this does not include the value of your home).
Your income is sufficient to pay the costs of your care without putting you in danger of falling below a predetermined minimum income level.
After doing an analysis of your situation, it was determined that you do not qualify for assistance from the local authority.
It is critical that you get your requirements evaluated, even if you are unable to receive financial assistance at this time.

This is important for a variety of reasons, including the following:

An official acknowledgment of your requirements will be sent after the assessment.
You will be provided with information by the council regarding the variety of services that are available to cater to your need.
You can still ask the local authority to help arrange care services for you, even if you are not eligible for financing for such services; however, you will still be responsible for paying for the care that you get.
In the event that your requirements shift in the near or far future, the evaluation will be very useful.

The majority of the time, care is administered within the house by a domiciliary care agency. This agency will hire the caregivers and oversee the entire process. You also have the option of employing a private care provider on your own directly. Fees are typically determined on an hourly basis, with the exception of live-in care that is provided 24 hours a day and is typically billed on a weekly basis.

Options for self-funding patients to pay for in-home care services

There are a few different routes you could take to generate income in order to pay for your medical care, including the following:

Putting money away and making investments.
Earnings derived through pensions, employment, or property.
You should make sure that you are receiving all of the benefits to which you may be entitled, such as the Attendance Allowance, which does not require a proof of income requirement.
To “unlock” cash from the value of your property through a process known as equity release, you need to be the owner of the home in order to qualify for an equity release programme.
You may be able to purchase an immediate needs annuity if you take equity out of your home or if you already have significant savings. Even while this requires an up-front payment of a significant number of money, it can provide you with the assurance that your medical expenses will be covered for the duration of time that they are required.

The sale of your current home and the purchase of a new, smaller home could provide you with a lump sum that could be used to assist pay for care.
Assistance monetarily coming from one’s relatives or friends.
Letting out a room to a lodger is something you should think about doing if you have sufficient space in your home. This is one way to bring in additional funds without having to relocate your family.

Keep in mind that it is possible that you will not be self-funding indefinitely. When the value of your assets falls below a specific threshold, you may become eligible for financial assistance from the state.

See our post on Self-Funding a Care Home for more information and ideas on how to handle the costs of caregiving. Even while moving into a care facility presents a new set of financial issues, many of the solutions we discuss there are equally applicable to funding care in your own home, so don’t worry about missing out.

Consider seeking the guidance of an accredited later life financial adviser who is a fully listed member of the Society of Later Life Advisers, regardless of the course of action you decide to take (SOLLA).

If treatment is provided in the patient’s home, will the NHS pay for it?

Under certain conditions, the National Health Service (NHS) will cover the cost of all home care services.

People who have complex medical care needs as a result of a disability, accident, or significant disease and require ongoing health care outside of a hospital setting can receive funding under the NHS Continuing Healthcare programme. People who have several and severe medical demands are the only ones who are eligible for this financing, and it is not based on financial necessity.

You may be eligible for up to six weeks of NHS-funded treatment at home if you have recently been discharged from the hospital after a brief illness or stay. This type of care is known as NHS Intermediate Care.

Download this free booklet to learn more about paying for care in later life.

This book will give you with information that is easy to understand in order to assist you in navigating the problems associated with paying for care in later life.

This guide describes how care is paid across the United Kingdom, how much different types of care services normally cost, and how to determine whether or not you are eligible for financial assistance. It also provides helpful advice on how to manage your finances in the event that you are required to pay for all or part of the expenses on your own.

What are my options if I don’t have any more money?

Once the value of your savings and assets drops below the level required for state financing, the local authority is obligated to make a contribution toward the cost of your care if you are a self-funder and have reached that point. Different nations in the UK have different minimum requirements to qualify for government assistance for medical care.

If your assets are worth less than this amount, you should get in touch with your local administration. After that, it will do a fresh evaluation of your requirements, as well as an analysis of your financial situation, in order to determine the amount of assistance that you are qualified to get.