Find out everything you need to know about your National Insurance number and National Insurance, including the details of your coverage.

What exactly does “National Insurance” mean?

Earnings and profits from self-employment are subject to a tax known as national insurance.

Your monthly contributions to National Insurance are placed in a fund, and it is this fund that is used to pay out certain state benefits.

This includes the entitlement to the state pension, statutory sick pay or maternity leave, as well as supplemental unemployment benefits.

Who is responsible for paying national insurance?

Employers, employees, and people who are self-employed are all required to pay into the National Insurance system.

When you reach the age at which you are eligible to receive a state pension, you are exempt from making any payments toward it, which essentially lowers your tax bill.

However, this is going to change as of the year 2023 due to the fact that the government has declared plans to implement a health and social care levy that will add 1.25 percentage points to the already established National Insurance contributions. The roll out will start in April of 2022, and people who are of state pension age but are still working will be required to pay the charge beginning the following year.

It’s possible that you could be eligible for National Insurance credits in some circumstances; for example, if you make a low wage or if you provide caregiving services.

You have the option of making optional contributions to National Insurance even if you are not actively contributing to the programme.

Why am I required to make payments toward my national insurance?

If you pay National Insurance, you are eligible for some state benefits; however, the specific benefits you receive depend on whether you are employed, self-employed, or contributing voluntarily to the system.

In order to be eligible for the state pension, you will first need to have paid into the National Insurance system for a certain number of years.

It is possible that you will not be eligible for some benefits if you have not contributed at least the required minimum amount.

Find out more about the state pension, including how you might apply for it.

– the time at which you will become eligible, as well as the preparations that must be made in advance.

Contributions to National Insurance are being made.

If you have a job, a portion of your paycheck will be withheld each month to cover your National Insurance obligations.

If you are self-employed, it is your responsibility to organise these contributions, and you will typically do so through your annual tax return for self-assessment.

In either case, it is essential to double check that you have the appropriate tax code in order to guarantee that you pay the appropriate amount of tax.

Learn more about National Insurance contributions, including who pays what, and where you stand.

Can you tell me what my National Insurance number is?

The Department of Work and Pensions is the agency responsible for assigning National Insurance numbers.

Each number is one of a kind, and they are used to identify you for the purpose of the government keeping track of how much tax you have paid, how much state pension you might be awarded, and how much tax allowance you are entitled to.

One and only one National Insurance number is allotted to each individual, and you are required to keep using the same number throughout your entire life.

The last letter of your National Insurance number is a letter, and it comes after two digits and six letters in your number.

How do I go about getting a National Insurance number?

Before you turn 16, if you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, you are entitled to get a National Insurance number (NI number).

If you didn’t, and you’re under the age of 20, give the National Insurance number hotline a call at (0300) 200-3500. If you are older than 20, you are eligible to apply for National Insurance by calling 0800 141 2075 on the National Insurance application line.

Only Mondays through Fridays are working days at this office. You’ll need some form of identification, and there may be an interview involved.

It is possible that a National Insurance number will be granted to you on your biometric residence permit if you are relocating to the United Kingdom. In that case, you will need to submit an application once you have arrived in the UK by dialling the hotline number, which is 0800 141 2075.

Assistance on your National Insurance number

The questions that follow are some of the most often asked ones regarding your National Insurance card.

What should I do now that I’ve misplaced my National Insurance number?

If you are unfortunate enough to misplace your National Insurance number, there is no way to obtain a replacement for it.

Checking your payslip or going into your online tax account, if you have one, is another option for locating your National Insurance number. If you do not know your National Insurance number, contact the Social Security Administration.

Call the hotline at the number 0300 200 3500 if you are unable to locate it. In order to verify your identity, you will be asked a few questions and might even be required to go through an interview.

Do I need to carry a card for National Insurance?

Until the end of 2011, anyone living in the United Kingdom were required to have a National Insurance card, however that requirement was eventually eliminated.

People who have recently applied for National Insurance or who have turned 16 will now receive a letter from HMRC that includes their National Insurance number.

Therefore, a National Insurance card is not required in order for you to apply for jobs; the letter that you received from HMRC should suffice as sufficient documentation of your NI number.

If I were to misplace my National Insurance card, could I get another one?

In 2011, the National Insurance cards were finally phased away.

In the event that you misplace your card, you will be required to call the helpline at the number 0300 200 3500 in order to receive a letter that contains your National Insurance number.

When you start your new job, you can be requested to provide verification of your national insurance number by showing the letter.

Can I get a job without a national insurance number?

You are need to submit an application for a National Insurance number before you begin working in the UK.

If, on the other hand, you can provide evidence that you are authorised to work in the UK — for instance, by displaying your visa — you will be able to begin working prior to the arrival of your National Insurance number.

When you get your National Insurance number, check to see that your employer has updated their records with it.

What will happen if I give the incorrect National Insurance number?

If you give HMRC the incorrect National Insurance number by accident, they might not be able to link your contributions to your previous records.

In most cases, employees at HMRC will make an effort to correct incorrect National Insurance numbers by using the other information that is supplied to them.

Checking your National Insurance record to see whether there are any blank spots where your payments or credits have not been counted is the first thing you should do.

If this is the case, you should talk to your employer about getting your records updated.

In any other case, please report the error to HMRC by calling 0300 200 3500. It is possible that you will be requested to provide evidence of your employment, such as pay stubs or P60s.

I would like to examine my National Insurance record, is it possible?

It is essential to keep a record of the amount of money that has been contributed to National Insurance, as well as any gaps or credits that may exist.

You can access the record of your National Insurance payments using the internet site maintained by the government.

You also have the option of mailing in to the following address to request that a hard copy of your National Insurance Statement be mailed to you:

Employers’ contributions to National Insurance and the National Insurance Office, HM Revenue & Customs, BX9 1ANv